Procrastination Survival Guide
Hey There Bosses!
Most of us have been in the house for several months, and naturally, we are restless and bored with the daily routine of walking back and forth from the living room to the kitchen. When quarantine first started we all talked about how productive we could be during this time. Now it’s hard to keep that same momentum. You might have a full day planned for business productivity but as soon as it’s time to start, you find yourself preoccupied with other things. Before you know it, the day is over, and you’re pushing your tasks back until tomorrow. It’s ok … we’ve all been there. Here are a few tips to get you back on track:
1. Set an allotted time for Social Media: Social media is a big part of our lives and our businesses. It’s nearly impossible to completely stay off of it. It’s one of our top distractions, and definitely the top reason for procrastination. Setting a specified time for social media will allow you to get in and get out. You should be able to handle your business on there, engage for a few moments, and then move on to your next task.
2. Do the hardest work first: Often our procrastination comes from the dread of doing one of our hardest tasks. If you knock this task out at the start of your day, your procrastination will decrease significantly.
3. Create a routine: We’ve had routines since we were children. Even if we hated going to school, we were there every day for years and years until it was over. Creating a routine allows us to get more work done because we’re training our minds to be engaged for a certain period of time, whether our bodies feel like it or not. Once you’re used to doing it, you’ll quickly see the signs when you’re getting off track.
4. Plan Ahead: Write out your daily plans in advance. This can be a month, a week, or even a day beforehand. Creating a plan on the day it is to be executed can sometimes lead to procrastination because you haven’t prepared your mind and/or body for the work that needs to be done. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
5. Be committed: If you really want success, commit to it. There is no easy way around it. You must dedicate the time if you want to see growth. Visualize your future self and commit to doing the work required to become that person.